Thursday 26 January 2012

Vintage Knitting and Crochet Patterns

Recently, my thoughts have been turning to knitting and crochet. I always seem to want to do it at this time of year after the chaos of Christmas but while we still have the long dark evenings to cosy up inside. Finally the last of the Christmas chocolate is gone and I need something other than Twitter to occupy my fingers after dark. I prefer to sew in daylight so sewing is never an option then, plus I do like to be in the same room as my family sometimes.

Although my knitting repertoire is pretty limited, I do have a growing collection of patterns (I've only just discovered the online sources such as Ravelry). A few years ago, I realised that charity shops are an excellent source of needles and patterns, although you do have to ask about needles because they seem to be an 'under the counter' item!

Increasingly, I am finding that the types of pattern I'm drawn to are not necessarily for garments I actually want to make, but rather for their comedy value. Going through my folder today to find a pattern for some super soft baby wool I bought today, I had a little giggle and thought I'd share the best with you.







As a firm Blue Peter Fan, I just had to have this. I thought she was so cool when I was 10!

Incidentally, I don't actually know how to crochet yet, unless you count the ability to make a very long chain; it is a skill I'm hoping to master soon.

If you fancy using any of the patterns here please let me know and I'll pop them in the post. I'd love to see them interpreted for the 21st century!

Thanks for stopping by,
Beth x

2 comments:

  1. Do you know some of these vintage patterns look so out of date but with a little tweak of colour and yarn type most could be made quite fashionable!! (well maybe not those hats ) :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Those patterns sent me straight back to my 70s childhood, and my Mum, Grandma & aunt all knitting - something I never quite took to! I am, though, planning to become an expert crocheter... but it may take some time!

    ReplyDelete

I really love to receive comments and will try to reply where possible x