Tuesday 6 March 2012

Some lovely presents and a new skill!

Last week, my Mum came over and brought with her a cardboard box, brimming with goodies for me to go through.


Mum is a sheltered housing officer and told me that a gentleman had been clearing out his mother's house when he found this little lot and hadn't known what to do with it. His Mother was an accomplished sewer and he wanted this lot to go to someone who would appreciate it. Unfortunately he didn't leave any contact details, so I am unable to thank him properly, but I would just like to reassure the universe that I am indeed thankful and will put this little lot to good use.









I was over the moon to go through this lot and there are some lovely things in the box. I'm not sure I dare to use the unopened bias bindings, it would feel like wrecking a piece of history! I am especially pleased with the pinking shears which have been so reverently looked after, wrapped in their original box. I have ruined my own by cutting oilcloth with them and they cost so much to replace. The tape measures are lovely too, I really like the one that is closed with a snap fastening.

Later on in the day that Mum visited, I popped into my next door neighbour for something and she gave me another little bag of sewing goodies!


If you remember, I received another lovely bundle from the same neighbour in this post. Those pieces were perfect for making purses and such with, but this new bag is full of bigger pieces, so I may be able to get to work on some new cushions, and perhaps even my table runner!


Finally, I am very happy to share with you that after much, MUCH practice (and swearing; and throwing stuff) I can now crochet, or sort of. Last Thursday at the evening Knit and Natter which, I am reliably informed is actually Stitch and Bitch (or SnB as I will now refer to it), the ever patient Bex and Vanessa sat with me until I had at last grasped the basics. Bex made me feel better by telling me that as a very experienced knitter she too found crochet quite alien at first, but once it clicked, it clicked and there was no stopping me.


The above samples are in double crochet. I am obviously still doing something wrong as the sides should be straight, not decreasing, but hopefully I'll get there. I used a really ancient book (again given to me by Mum) to get the pattern for Granny Squares, which I have always wanted to be able to make and managed to produce these all by my own self! I am not thinking of anything as grand as a blanket yet, but thought I could aim for a small cushion cover. Another project on the list.



Anyway, thanks as ever for visiting and for all the lovely comments you have been leaving. Any of you lurkers out there don't be shy, I'm quite friendly really and love to find out who you are and what you've been making too,

Beth x


11 comments:

  1. Oh you lucky thing! That bag of fabric looks great too!

    Your crochet looks brill! I was decreasing too - I was missing the 1st stitch in the row and jumping too many (wasn't quite sure where the last one of previous row was either!) your rows look really neat too though so you've picked up the basics really well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, I will keep practising. Your cowl is making me reconsider knitting mine, I may have to crochet instead as it's obviously much quicker! x

      Delete
  2. Oh wow I think you may have won the sewing lottery!! I love the little green tape measure with the yellow flower! Then again I love anything with a bit of history. I think it's lovely and fascinating to think about the lives of those that used those things before us, what sewing may have meant to them.

    Your crochet is looking lovely, all this crochet learning that's going on has me itching to start but I'm being very patient (ish) and waiting til I have the time to give it my full concentration! :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will certainly need a lot of concentration! I'm sure you'll get the hang of it more quickly than I did, my patience with it was extremely limited x

      Delete
  3. Fabulous! Years ago I inherited all of my Dad's godmother's sewing things - she taught sewing & art at night classes - which included a huge stash of threads, various types of scissors and old biscuit tins full of, well, stuff! And I'm still using it, though I do regret giving away two big old sweetie jars full of buttons to a friend who is no longer a friend. Ah well, we live and learn!

    I'm also teaching myself to crochet, and yes, I too keep decreasing - it must be a beginner's thing. Either that or we can't count!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Ailsa. I have had a look at your blog - what lovely jewellery, I will be checking back soon! Keep practising the crochet x

      Delete
  4. How wonderful! This kind of blog makes me so happy, all about haberdashery bits and bobs....heaven.
    I am absolutely in love with the little tape measure. What a treasure. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tape measure too, luckily I seem to have reverted to imperial measurements since starting sewing so they are a great addition to me who is always misplacing my tape measure! x

      Delete
  5. Absolutely fantastic things, what a lovely gift, sewing things are like sweets in glass jars, lovely. Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, thanks for leaving a comment. I keep some of my buttons and beads in glass jars for that very reason! x

      Delete
  6. That's exactly what my crochet looked like when I started, you'll get there...

    Lucky you, glad that the cherished sewing things went to someone who will appreciate them...

    ReplyDelete

I really love to receive comments and will try to reply where possible x